Friday, September 26, 2008

About Red

Great nature has thousands of colours. I think every nation has its favorite colours . I know that Australians like green and yellow. The Chinese people's favorite colour is red.They use red to express happiness. In China, in both family and national celebrations, the main colour is always red. For example, in traditional Chinese weddings,the colour of the groom's and bride's formal drss is red for both. In bridal chamber, everything is red .
The Chinese think that the red colour is very important --- red colour can resist evils! That was the reason, why the wall of the ancient chinese emperor's palace were red. In China, the main religion is Buddhism; the building of Buddhist temples are red. It is not to express happiness, it is to resist evils. If the chinese people want to avoid dangers or plagues, they always wear special necklaces which are made of red cotton thread, or wear speacial waistbands which are made of red cotton cloth.
In modern China, the Chinese use red to express in justice, victory and advances. They think the heart of a good sort is red, the heart of a bad egg is black. The nice regime is red and the corrupt regime is white. In the famous Chinese Culthural Revolution, some people opposed red traffic lights meaning STOP. They suggested that red traffic lights must mean GO Ahead! COME On! .....
I am Chinese, but I really don't like everything red. But I belive my red necklace can protect me from every evil, Because it was sent by my mother when I left China to come to Australia.
My friends, would you mind to tell me which colour is the favorite one in your country?

No comments: